You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.

Infant boy ID’d; coroner’s report on death pending

– The Allen County Coroner’s Office identified an infant who died Monday but has not determined what caused his death.

The infant was identified as 7-week-old Tavarus Carpenter, Chief Deputy Coroner Dr. Craig Nelson said.

The baby was taken to a hospital in critical condition after a baby sitter discovered the boy wasn’t breathing in an apartment in the 7900 block of Serenity Drive, near Decatur Road, Lafayette Street and South Anthony Boulevard.

The coroner’s office said autopsy results are pending further medical testing and investigation. The office said it has not ruled out any possible causes of death.

Fort Wayne police responded at 11:42 a.m. Monday to assist paramedics with an unresponsive infant. Tavarus was taken to a hospital in critical condition but died a short time later, police said.

Police tape still covered the front door of the home Tuesday and two police cars were parked nearby monitoring the scene. There were no new details to release in the investigation, said officer John Chambers, city police spokesman.

Neighbor Brittany Bolden said Monday she heard a woman who lives in the home screaming and crying. Bolden then saw an ambulance take Tavarus away.

Bolden said the woman who lived in the apartment was watching the boy while his mother went down the street.

The apartment is in a building inside Centennial Townhomes, where each unit has its own door. The property is a project-based Section 8 housing addition, according to Jennifer Cloud, a community relations associate for the Monroe Group, which is based in Denver and is the management company for Centennial Townhomes.

Cloud said there are income restrictions on those who can live in Centennial, but she did not release those figures.

In December 2010, 1-month-old Alyssa Johnson was beaten to death in the apartment next to where Tavarus was found. The girl’s mother, LaDawn Johnson, is serving 40 years in prison after a jury convicted her of battery causing death and neglect of dependent causing injury.

The apartment Alyssa died in is not the same apartment Bolden now lives in.

“We are very disheartened to hear of the situation,” Cloud said. “We are working with authorities to ensure the safety of our residents.”

Centennial underwent a complete renovation that was finished in November, and Cloud said the property is doing well.

“We are very concerned for the families affected by this,” Cloud said. “Do we believe it’s because of where they are living? No.”